Sunday, January 26, 2014

Why "Doubt Not, Fear Not."

So often in life we are presented with situations that can either bring fear or help us to become stronger. I have always been taught that fear is the absence of faith. So what is faith and why do we need it? Yes, faith is believing in something that we cannot see. It is also acting on that something. When I was in school I would study and study and study. My act of faith was all of this studying would help me to get a decent grade. I can believe all I want to that studying will help but until I actually do the studying my belief sits dormant. As it says so well in the Bible in the book of James 2:26 "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

I don't know about you but I hate feeling fear. It always seems to hold me back from doing something or becoming better. As it says in Proverbs 29:25 "The fear of man bringeth a snare; but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe."

Pretty much I feel like this is common knowledge, for the most part. Fear bad. Faith good. There is the knowledge that following God brings blessings and happiness but at times there is a disconnect. Fear still occurs way more often then we would like it to. I know that fear comes to me often on the behalf of others. I fear for them. I have also felt fear for the future, not knowing what's going to happen. Sometimes I have fear of what others will say or think. I have also let fear hold me back from doing what I knew I should. So why do we let fear sometimes rule our actions?

I would submit that there are a plethora of reasons of why we let fear hold us back. In fact I don't think we have a shortage of reasons. Instead I'd like to focus on how to get faith in there more, how to help faith to consistently conquer fear in our lives. As President Thomas S. Monson said "faith and doubt cannot exist in the same mind at the same time, for one will dispel the other." ('Come unto Him in Prayer and Faith' Ensign Mar. 2009)

I am only going to mention one way that I've used to chase away fear, and I invite you to leave a comment of more ways that we can chase away fear. The way I have found to bring more faith into my life is through prayer. As I pray to my father in Heaven I have received strength from him to keep going, to keep acting and to keep my faith. I am so grateful that I am able to go to him in prayer whenever and wherever I may be. I love him so much and am so grateful for the strength he gives.



The following scripture is where the title of my blog comes from and serves as a constant reminder to me to always keep Christ in the forefront of my life and trust in him.

33. Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
34. Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
36. Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
37. Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

Also I most definitely encourage you to read this talk.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your testimony of prayer and how it helps you not to fear. One of my biggest trials is actually fear and I am afraid of so many nonexistent never-going-to-happen things throughout the day. Your words are a great reminder of God's power to heal!

    ReplyDelete